Sunday, September 18, 2005

the malayland...

Was reading a link posted by my friend rational thinker here, and man, it really prompted me to put my brains in working mode now.

It's pretty fascinating to find that there are still such fanatics living in our country. I will not argue that Malaysia is a country dominated by Malays, hence the bumiputera status and privileges, but why condemn diversity? In any situation, I was born in Malaysia, and despite of Chinese heritage, you can't possibly say I'm not Malaysian. So what if my ancestors came from China? It won't make me any less of a Malaysian even though I can speak other languages. This is just sad.

Secondly, language is a very important communication tool. Personally, I feel very proud to be able to communicate in three different languages, all three among the 10 most spoken languages in the world. And I'm currently taking Spanish as an extra language paper, which is btw the 4th most spoken language in the world. I don't think there are any harm done by using any of these languages as mediums to reach out to other cultures and countries. Why limit yourself to what you already have when you can achieve more? Think globally, not locally.

Oh, and stop calling our country Malayland. We switched it to Malaysia a long time ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wtf? who dares call malaysia malayland?